Friday, November 2, 2012

A Sad Day - November 2, 2012

Friday - November 2, 2012
Today started out as a pretty good day.  The kids all got off to school without any problems.  I got some homework done, then went upstairs to clean the house and wash the dishes.  While I was rinsing the dishes, I had to run the disposal.  When I flipped the switch, I got electrocuted.  It took my brain a little bit to figure out what was happening.  I realized and pulled my hand away.  It was really scary.  I had a headache afterward so I quit doing the dishes and sat down for a little bit.  I was sitting there thinking about how if I had gotten electrocuted worse and had fallen to the ground, nobody would find me until the kids got home and that would be a horrifying experience for them.
I finally started feeling better and was able to finish washing the dishes.   When the kids got home from school, Alissa told me about the program the 5th graders are doing.  She was really excited because she has a big part.  She wanted me to practice with her.  We had a lot of fun practicing her part.  We tried it with a bunch of different accents.  We laughed a lot.  It was a good time.
Alissa and I quit practising and I went downstairs to watch TV with Roger and spend some time with him before he left to work.
While we were watching TV, I got a phone call from my friend, Tammy Beverly.  She told me that there was an ambulance at Laurie Fife's house and she saw Laurie on the stretcher.  Tammy's son, Ben, had an allergic reaction to a bee sting, so Ben and her husband, Lee, were at the emergency room.  Tammy had called over there to tell them that Laurie was on her way.  They said they over heard that they were bringing in a female trauma patient and they were giving her CPR.  Tammy called me as soon as she got off the phone with them to let me know what was happening.  She said she would call me as soon as she found out more.  A few minutes later, she called me back and told me that they told Lee that it wasn't looking like she was going to make it.  A few minutes after that, her daughter, Erin, called to tell me that Laurie had died.  I could not believe it.  I was devastated.  Laurie was my across the street neighbor for 3 years before we moved.  We were hanging out more now than we did when she lived across the street.  She was my walking buddy.  She is also the friend that stood up for me when there was a big mean bully trying to start a fight with me at the safety fair.  She was a very caring person and a great friend to have.  I'm going to miss her soooo... much!
This is her obituary.

There is one crazy thing I have to tell you.  For the past two weeks, Laurie and I have been talking about this great idea that she had and how we were going to start doing this soon.  Her idea was that we would include housekeeping with our walking.  One day we would clean her house and the next day we would clean mine.  We would just take turns helping each other out and it would make our house cleaning a lot more fun since we would be doing it together.  I thought that it was a great idea and I couldn't wait for us to start.  When I make plans, I think about it and imagine what it is going to be like.  I always do that.  So, I was really bothered by the fact that I could not imagine what it was going to be like cleaning houses with Laurie.  It really bothered me that I couldn't imagine it.  Every time she'd talk about it, I'd look forward to it, because I thought it was a great idea, but I was really bothered that I wasn't able to imagine it.  She passed away before we ever got to do it and that is why I couldn't imagine it.

I took some pictures of my beautiful children.



No comments:

Post a Comment