Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Cake Decorating With the Young Women - May 11, 2016

Wednesday - May 11th

Alissa's Young Women's class came over for a cake decorating activity tonight.  I think it went well.  The activity wasn't super organized... or I guess I should say, it wasn't planned well.  A few weeks ago, my neighbor, Autumn, came and asked me if I would like to teach the Beehives to do some cake decorating.  I told her that of course I would.  After that, I didn't hear anymore about it.  I kept thinking one of the leaders would call me to set something up, but it didn't happen that way.  On Sunday night I got a text from one of the leaders.  She texted to confirm that we were still good to do the cake decorating activity this week.  I was surprised that I had heard nothing more about it up until that point.  I explained that I didn't know what was going on, but I would love to have them come this Wednesday.  She felt bad that I hadn't been given any information about the activity.  She told me that Autumn was going to make cupcakes for everybody to decorate and they would meet at my house at 7:00pm.  I agreed to have the icing and other tools to teach them.
I got everything ready.  I decided that I wanted to try a few homemade cake recipes, so I made some cupcakes, but not a lot, because I knew they'd be bringing some.  They all came and nobody had cupcakes with them.  So, someone ran across the street to see if Autumn was coming and if she made the cupcakes.  She had forgotten about it.  She was really stressed out because she had some big school assignment she was working on, so she wasn't able to get the cupcakes ready or come to the activity.  It was a good thing I had made some cupcakes or we would have had nothing to decorate.  I was just surprised that they assigned all of the planning of the activity to Autumn and none of the leaders checked in with her to help her out or make sure the activity was getting set up and going as planned.  Also, only one leader showed up to the activity and she spent the majority of her time staring at her phone.  That was how the last cake decorating activity I did with the Young Women's went.  I did an activity like this for the 12 ward when we lived there.  The leaders had planned this one, so we had all the cakes and everything figured out, but it was similar to this in that the leaders spent the whole time staring at their phones.  The only difference was that there were more leaders at the last one and when they weren't staring at their phones, they were talking loudly with each other, while I was trying to teach the girls.  A couple of times, the girls had to ask them to quiet down so they could hear what was being taught.  Anyway, so the activity went good enough.  It could have been better had they made better plans and given me more time, but that's okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment