Friday, July 5, 2013

Our Montana Trip - Monday - July 1, 2013

We headed out on our fun family vacation to Montana yesterday.  We ended up leaving a little later in the day than we had originally planned, due to me having to babysit all day Saturday.  The drive was long, but very fun.  Alissa asked Roger to tell us stories from his childhood.  The kids would tell him a topic (for example:Something embarrassing, scary, etc.) and he would tell us all the stories that came to his mind.  I get car sick when I don't watch the road, but I did my best and was able to write down most of what he told us.  We all loved listening to his stories and I didn't want to forget them.  It made the drive go much faster.  when we were falling asleep at Grandma's, I felt something drop on my head.  I quickly swiped at my head to see if something had really landed there.  I felt a spider or something.  I swiped it off and jumped out of bed so quickly!  Roger helped me find what had fallen on me.  It was a yucky black bug.  Yucky, yucky, yucky!  He killed it, then we climbed back in bed and went to sleep.  I had a really hard time falling asleep, but once I fell asleep, I slept well.
So, we had a goodnight sleep at Grandma Mathison's and woke up Monday morning ready to go out and play.  We planned to go to Apgar in Glacier National Park.  We were going to go on a short hike, eat huckleberry Ice cream, visit the gift shops and visitor center (to get more ideas of what we wanted to see while we were there), and play in Lake Mcdonald.  We were eating breakfast and getting ready for the day, when Uncle Johnny called and invited us all to go with them on their new pontoon boat at Ashley Lake.  We thought that sounded like a lot of fun, so that's what we did instead.
I've never been to Ashley Lake.  It was a very pretty Lake.  The kids were excited to get to see some cousins that they hadn't seen in a long time and for the chance to swim.  Here we are on the drive to Ashley Lake.

 Parker and Alissa stood up on a picnic table at the Ashley Lake Camp ground so I could take these cool pictures.
 The stream flowing into the lake had freezing cold water.  The kids had a lot of fun playing by it.






 The kids had a lot of fun playing in the water with their cousins while we waited for them to get the boat ready to go home.

We got home from Ashley Lake around 1:00 or 2:00pm.  We ate lunch at Grandma's, then packed up for a short trip to Glacier.  Roger really wanted to go on a hike.  He took the first turn out for a hiking trail that he saw.  The trail was called Apgar Lookout Trail.  We parked the first parking lot we came across, figuring that was were the trail head was.  We got out and looked around.  I didn't see any signs that would let us know where the trail starts, but we did see a hiking trail.  I didn't think it was the trail we were looking for, but roger thought it would be a fun adventure.  It was an adventure.  The trail was not used very much, so it was kind of grown over in a few areas.  There were lots of areas that felt like we were surrounded by deep forest.  It made me nervous.  Especially since we didn't have any bear spray.  We just made sure to be extra loud and talk a lot.  I kept joking that the trail was called Apgar "look out!" trail, because you really needed to look out while you were hiking.  I was pretty nervous and scared about bears.  Roger paid attention to where the sun was when we started and he new the trail was taking us in a circle, so he was sure it would take us back to our truck and we wouldn't have to back track through the woods to get home.  I was relieved that he was right.  It took us in a circle and we made it back to the truck safely.  
 At one part on our hike, we passed by this river.
 This is at the end of our hike.  We are heading back to the truck.  Montana was having record high temperatures.  The week before they were getting a lot of rain, so it was hot and humid this week.  We did a lot of sweating while we were out and about.




No comments:

Post a Comment