Thursday, August 21, 2014

Box Elder County Fair Parade - August 20, 2014

Wednesday - August 20, 2014
Today was a busy day.  I don't love busy days.  Luckily for me a storm came and ruined our plans to go to the fair tonight.  The kids weren't happy, but I was very relieved.  I slept in until 9:00 this morning (That was nice!)  But, as soon as I woke up, I was busy.  I had to run to the store to buy some milk so I could enjoy my breakfast.  I also needed a few groceries for dinner.  So, I quickly did my shopping, came home, ate breakfast, then got right to work on dinner.  I needed to get it in the slow cooker so it would be done in time for Roger to take it to work.  As soon as I got the slow cooker going, I had to make some lunch for the kids.  We had the missionaries come and visit today.  So, we had to get everything done before they came.  The missionaries were here for an hour.  After they left, Roger ate some lunch and I packed his food for him to take to work.  I had a headache, so I had to take an extra trip to the store to get some medicine. The kids found some change so they wanted to come to the store with me to buy some candy.  I told them they didn't need it because they would get so much candy tonight at the fair, but they didn't care.  Brinley bought a really funny candy.  It was two suckers, in the shape of toilet plungers, with a toilet full of a flavored powder to dip the suckers in.  I had to take a picture of it because I thought it was so funny.
 The kids were all very nice and posed with their candy for me.  Alissa bought a candy necklace and a soda.
 Parker bought some gum.
 And here is Brinley with her toilet candy.  She liked the suckers but really didn't like the powder in the little toilet.
After we helped pack Roger's lunch, we all said good-bye to him then the kids and I headed to the parade.  People set their chairs out to save their spots like a week in advance, so we needed to get there early enough to find a spot to sit.  We got pretty lucky and found a good area close to where we parked.  The kids love the parade because they always get so much candy.
I took a picture of the kids when we first got there.  I don't remember Parker being angry, but look at the angry face he is making in the bigger picture.  I think it is funny.  I asked him about it when I uploaded the pictures, but he can't remember why he was making that face.
 The kids don't sit a lot during the parade because they are too busy picking up all the candy that they throw at us.  They love it!  My favorite is when Malt-o-Meal comes by.  They always give out little personal bowls of cereal.  I love it!
 This clown train comes by every year.  I don't know why I felt the need to take pictures of it, but I did.

 The parade is always sooo long!  Toward the middle of the parade, the kids start asking, "When is it over?"  They start to get really tired and almost a little bored.  Even though they are still getting candy, it seems like it loses it's excitement after a while.  When it finally ended and I asked the kids to pose with all their candy.  They all held up their candy, but their faces just show how tired they were at this point.
So, our plan after the parade was to go home, get Alissa's money, eat a snack, then head to the fair to go on some rides and walk around and see everything.  Shortly after we walked in the door, Roger called to let me know that the lightening radar thing at his work was showing that there was lots of lightening striking all around, so he didn't think we should go to the fair.  We looked outside and were quite surprised by how fast the weather was changing.  The kids were really bummed about not going to the fair.  Alissa had planned on us stopping at Maverick for a slushy on the way to the fair and she was pretty disappointed that that wasn't going to happen either.  So, to ease their frustration, I decided to take the kids to get a slushy then we would hurry back home before the storm got too bad.  As we were getting in the truck, the wind picked up really quickly.  It was blowing really strong.  We pulled out onto the road, then had to wait as a swimming pool went flying across the road in front of us.  Brinley got scared that a tornado was coming so she started to cry.  We all tried to calm her down.  I told her to look on the bright side and pointed out, "How often do you get to see a swimming pool flying down the road?"  We managed to cheer her up and get her to enjoy the fun and exciting things that storms bring.  We got our slushies and made it home safely, then Brinley made us all say a prayer that we would be safe from the storm.  We all had a nice and relaxing evening after that.
Roger is still working the graveyard shift so he didn't get to enjoy this craziness with us.  When there is any lightening with in 5 miles of his work, they have to shut down.  So Roger got to spend quite a bit of time relaxing in the break room, watching TV on his phone and eating pretzels.

No comments:

Post a Comment