Sunday, August 17, 2014

Jamie's Baptism - August 16 - 17, 2014

Saturday - August 16, 2014
Alissa' friend Jamie got baptized today!  I'm not sure when she started having the missionary discussions, but Alissa went to her house and was there for a few of the missionary visits.  Jamie said that her experiences at girl's camp were the things that made her want to be baptized.  Luckily, Alissa remembered what day the baptism was.  I had to send Alissa to her house about 2 hours before it started to find out for sure what time and where it was at.  Luckily, we did, because Jamie had Alissa on the program as the person saying the closing prayer.  Alissa wasn't too surprised by that.  She kind of figured that she would be asked to do something.  
I was nervous for Alissa to say the closing prayer.  Not because I didn't think she could do it, but because that is a fear I have.  I get super nervous when I have to say the prayer in front of large groups.  I would rather give a talk in sacrament meeting than say the prayer in sacrament meeting.  I don't know why I get so panicky.  I just don't handle it well.  I was telling Alissa about my crazy fear on the way to the baptism.  She said, "Mom.  You need to work on that."  I said, "I know... just not yet.  I'll deal with it another time.  I've got other struggles I'm dealing with now."  I tried to think of what other struggles I was dealing with and nothing came to my mind.  Then, Alissa said, "I think Heavenly Father wants you to work on it now."  That was the end of our conversation.  The baptism was nice.  Jamie looked super happy.  Alissa did well with the prayer.  We stayed after to enjoy some refreshments that the Young Women Leaders provided.  Alissa got her picture taken with Jamie, some of the young women in our ward, and the missionaries.  Then we headed home.  Shortly after we got home, I sat down on the couch next to Roger to relax.  He got a text message on his phone and said, "Uh oh."  I asked "What?"  and he told me that the text message was from someone in the ward asking if we would give the opening and closing prayer in sacrament meeting.  I told him to say no, but Alissa piped in and told him how I needed to.  Roger replied yes before I could stop him.  Then we told Roger the story of how Alissa said that she thought Heavenly Father wanted me to work on this problem now.  I just thought it was crazy how that all worked out.

Sunday - August 17, 2014
So, I survived saying the prayer in sacrament meeting.  I said the opening prayer so I could get it over with.  I said a short and very simple prayer.  I'm just really glad that I did it and it is over with.  The funny thing is that before I got asked to say the prayer, I spent the whole week worrying about choir practice on Sunday.  This was our first choir practice with me as the pianist.  I am super nervous about this calling.  I practiced hard all week and was super nervous about how it was going to go.  Then I got asked to say the prayer and I felt like I had a much bigger worry to focus on.  I was so nervous about the prayer that I hardly thought about the choir practice.  I think that was kind of nice.  After doing well with the prayer, I felt a little more confident and I did a pretty good job at the choir practice.  I didn't mess up at all on the song that she had told me we'd be working on and I only messed up a little on the unexpected song that she added to our practice.  so, I felt pretty good about this.  I think I will do okay being the choir pianist as long as I keep practicing.  So, that's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment