Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Pinewood Derby - April 10, 2014

Thursday - April 10, 2014
Today is the Pinewood Derby.  This was Parker's first, since he wasn't able to go last year.  He ended up getting really sick.  He was so bummed.  This was my first time of ever going to a pinewood derby also.  I didn't realize that they race the cars so many times.  I was a little nervous about how Parker's car would do.  Roger and Parker were much more nervous than I was.  But, it turns out, we had nothing to worry about.  Parker's car won every race!  It was so fun to win the pinewood derby.  Parker and Roger deserved this win.  Here's Parker showing off his car before the race.

 The race didn't start until 6:00pm.  Alissa and Brinley went to activity days, while we finished up Parker's car and got all our stuff ready for the race.  The picture below, is when they came home.  Brinley and her friend Sierra were telling ma about all the fun princess stuff they did.  It was a 'Frozen' themed Party.  They had a lot of fun.
 After Alissa and Brinley came home, we got ready and headed to the church.  We went a little early, so we'd have time to figure out if we needed more or less weights on the car.  It was a good thing we were early.  Because the car was way under weight.  Roger drove home really fast to find some weights we could use.  We duct taped the weights to the top of the car and called it good.  We were worried that they way we had the weights taped on would slow down the car.  Here's Parker running to see his car and right after his first race.  He won!  We were so excited!
 Each race started with his car just a little bit a head at the start of the race, then shortly after getting on the flat part, his car would speed ahead of the rest.  He won most races by a car or two lengths distance.  The pictures below are from one of the races where one of the cars fell off the track.  Parker thought it was kind of cool.  He wanted to be able to show and tell his teacher about the pinewood derby, so I told him I would print up a picture or two for him to show her.  He chose one of him holding his trophy and the other one he chose was the one where the car comes off the track.

Go Parker!  He is our winner, winner, chicken dinner!
 When we got home from the race, Parker informed me that they were doing an egg drop at his school tomorrow and he was supposed to bring an egg to drop off the roof.  It was already past their bedtime and we were tired, but we did our best to make something we thought would protect the egg when it dropped.  This is what we made.  I thought it would work for sure, but I was wrong.  The egg broke.
As soon as we finished making this, I got all the kids in bed, then I had to hurry and get as much of my packing for the sister's fling done as I could.  I was going to be leaving first thing in the morning, so I wouldn't have a lot of time the next day.  I did as much as I could, then went to sleep.  I was exhausted, so I fell asleep quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment