Monday, October 21, 2013

My Happy Birthday!

Sunday - October 20, 2013
We spent the night at Linda's.

Monday - October 21, 2013
I had a good Birthday.  We decided to stay in Salt Lake Longer than we originally planned.  So, my Birthday was on a Monday and since we were at Linda's house still, I had to call and excuse the kids from school.  Linda and Shelley babysat the kids for us while we were gone.  Linda was super nice and took them all to McDonald's for lunch.  They love going to McDonald's and playing on the playground, so they were really excited and happy about that.  Also when we were gone, Linda made and decorated a birthday cake for me.  So, after spending a fun day with Roger, we came back to Linda's and she surprised me with a bouquet of flowers and cake and ice cream.
Before we left on our date, Linda gave us movie passes and my dad gave me a gift card for the Olive Garden.  We went to a craft store first, since I love shopping for crafts. I didn't end up getting anything, since I couldn't make up my mind about what I wanted.  We finished shopping and went to the Olive Garden for lunch.  As we went in, I was noticing how different the American Fork Olive Garden is compared to the Logan Olive Garden.  The Logan one is much nicer.  In Logan when you walk up to the door, there is almost always someone waiting to open the door for you and ask you how many in your party.  At the American Fork Olive Garden, it was crowded even though it was an off time.  It was about 1:30pm.  In Logan, the place would have been practically empty.  When we walked in, we had to wait in a line to be able to talk to anybody.  It didn't take long for us to be seated, but nobody said, "Welcome to the Olive Garden."  I know it is silly, but when your used to being treated like you are special when you go to a place, you notice the difference when you are not treated well.  Anyway... so, we got seated and our waiter came.  He was not friendly at all.  After we ordered, I asked if they do anything special for birthdays.  He looked at me and said, "No."  Then he walked away.  About 2 minutes later, a lot of the staff gathered around a table and they all sang, "Happy Birthday" to somebody.  I was really frustrated and kind of hurt.  My weekend started out really crappy because of the people I used to babysit for treated me like crap and I just couldn't handle anymore rudeness.  The waiter didn't come back to our table after that.  He sent someone else to deliver our food and he stood back a few tables watching (It was really weird).  The waiter brought me Chicken Alfredo, but I had ordered Fettucine Alfredo.  I told him that my order was wrong.  He looked over to our waiter and told him, what I had said, then our waiter glared at me, looked down at his paper, glared again and walked away.  In the meantime, the waiter who had delivered our food, apologized and went to get the correct food.  I don't usually complain at restaurants, but I was pretty fed up with people being so horrible.  Roger stopped someone and asked if they could send the manager to our table.  When she came, I told her all that had happened, then I said, "I don't normally complain about stuff like this, but I'm fussy, because it's my birthday and I don't like being treated like that."  She apologized, told us she'd get us another waiter, and said that she would pay for my dinner.  Then she said that they don't normally give free desserts for birthdays, but she was going to give me one anyway.  The rest of our time there was better.  Our new waitress was much nicer than the waiter we had.  They brought me my dessert with a candle in it and sang happy birthday to me.  So, that was nice.  It was nice to get all of that stuff for free, but I think I would have rather just been treated better from the start.  That's all.  I just wish people would be nicer.
Roger's niece, Missy called to wish me a happy birthday while we were at the Olive Garden.  she asked where we were, then asked if she could come hang out for a little while.  Of course, we said yes.  So she met us at the Olive Garden.  we had about an hour until our movie started, so we sat and visited while Roger got the car detailed.  Then we went to see a movie, 'The Saratov Approach'.  I liked the movie.  It was an interesting story.
Missy went home, and Roger and I headed back to Linda's to get the kids and go home.  when we got there, we were surprised to see that Linda had made a birthday cake for me.  She also bought me some flowers.  So, Roger lit the candles, everybody sang the Happy Birthday song, I blew out the candles, and we enjoyed cake and ice cream before heading home.  It was a good birthday.

The flowers that Linda gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment