Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Babysitting - June 26, 2013

On Sunday, June 23rd, I met a new friend.  We were walking in to sacrament meeting when a little girl, walking past us, saw Brinley and ran over to her.  "Brinley!  You're here?  This is your church?  I bet we're in the same class!  I'm so excited!"  She gave Brinley a big hug, then walked off to where she was headed.  Brinley said that the girl was a friend from school.  Her name is Aliyah.
After all of our meetings, Brinley and her friend, Aliyah, were waiting for me.  They both told me that I needed to meet Aliyah's mom so that they could have a play date.
So, I met Aliyah's mom.  In relief society when she introduced herself, I had thought she seemed like someone that I would get a long with.  Also, she reminded me a lot of my friend Laurie, who passed away in November.  So, I was glad to get to meet her.  Her name is Lori.  She lives down the street from us.  She mentioned that she is newly divorced and was trying to find a babysitter for her kids, so we couldn't get the kids together to play until Friday, when she would have the day off.  I wanted to offer to help her with babysitting, but I haven't been doing any daycare, since we moved out of our house.  I didn't think Roger would like it and I didn't think it would be a great idea because we don't really have an outside area for the kids to play in.  so, I didn't say anything.
Later that day, I talked to Roger about how badly I want to start babysitting again.  We could really use a little extra income and this is the best way for me to help with out having to leave the kids.  He agreed that if I wanted to, he'd be okay if I babysat one or two kids.  No more than that, since we don't have a large house or a yard for them to play in.  I figured, that I wouldn't advertise that I am doing daycare again, but I will just keep my ears pealed and if I hear of someone looking for a sitter, I can offer to help out.
On Sunday night and on Monday, Lori kept coming to my mind.  I kept thinking that I should let her know that I do daycare and offer to help her out with her children.  I thought that might be weird because, we just met and she doesn't really know me, so I decided not to.  On Tuesday, the feeling that I needed to offer her help kept coming to me.  So, I did it.  I sent her a message telling her that I used to do daycare and that I am always at home with my kids, so if she needs any help let me know.  Then I texted, "If you're home, we can walk over and visit for a little bit?"  She texted back, "O my heavens!  You totally answered my prayer!  Please do.  I'm heading home with a quick stop at Kent's.  I will text you when I get home. ok?  Thank you and I will explain then."
We walked over to visit for a little while when she got home.  She said that she was getting them enrolled in a daycare, but she had to fill out some paper work and the daycare wouldn't start watching her kids until next week.  She still had 3 days of work this week and she didn't know what to do with her kids.  So, we arranged for me to come over to her house and babysit her kids for the rest of the week.  It was a little crazy, because it was so spur of the moment and I really needed to be a little more focused on packing and getting us ready for our vacation next week.  But it felt good to help.  It also felt really good to know that I had been an answer to somebody's prayer.  
 The kids wanted to paint, but I couldn't find any paper at their house, so we walked over to our house, to paint for a little while, before heading back so the little one could take a nap.  The kids had a lot of fun playing with their new friends.
It was a pretty long, hot, and exhausting day babysitting.  When we got home, it was after 7:00pm and I didn't have it in me to make dinner, so we headed to McDonald's.


No comments:

Post a Comment