Sunday, October 5, 2014

Conference Weekend - October 4 - 5, 2014

Conference weekend was nice and relaxing.  Well.... actually it is more like... watching conference was nice and relaxing, besides that my weekend was a little uncomfortable and I'm reaching my breaking point of what I can handle.  Here's why: Roger and I haven't had our temple recommends for a while and the biggest reason why is because of our tithing.  At some point, money was really tight and we decided to skip paying our tithing so we could afford everything.  We didn't do that every time, just every now and again when Roger's paycheck was too small.  Eventually, we started doing that all of the time and it just got easier and easier not to pay our tithing.  We realized how desperately we needed to start paying our tithing again, but it was really hard for us to get back on track with that.  We were super determined and doing really well with it, until we moved to our house on the south side of Tremonton and the bishop in our ward treated us like we were horrible people and obviously lying to him about having paid our tithing ever.  It was the craziest thing!  And it was horrible being treated like that.  He really seemed to have a horrible opinion of us.  Our bishop before him had told us that we could get our recommends in June if we continued to pay a full tithe.  By the time June came, we had moved, but we continued to pay a full tithe and we really wanted to get our recommends.  When we went to the bishop in our new ward, he accused us of lying.  He said that he called our last bishop and he said he had no record of us paying our tithing (which made no sense at all, because we had payed a full tithe and at the end of the year we got our little statement thing that proved it).  Anyway, he didn't believe us and he said he wanted us to pay a full tithe for another year, before he would even consider it.  We were frustrated.  It was not easy for us to pay our tithing because money was always so tight. So, after the bishop was so horrible to us, it made it really easy for us to just stop paying it again.  Which is wrong of us, we know that, I have no good excuse for us not paying, nut that's what we did.  So, we moved out of that ward into our current ward.  This bishop is much nicer, but I met some people in the ward shortly after moving in, and we had some experiences with family, that really made me start to question everything.  All of the sudden, I felt really lost and confused about things that I had been so sure about before.  So, I dealt with those feeling and that uncertainty for close to 9 months.  After I figured everything out and started to feel better about things and know that I was on the right track again, the bishop called Roger and I in for a meeting.  He said that he just wanted to talk to us about our tithing.  He had experienced the same thing when his children were younger.  He shared his experience and how it took a few tries for them, but when they determined that nothing would stop them from paying, they kept paying and never looked back.  He said he knew exactly how we feel and he offered to help us out anyway that he could if we made that goal for ourselves.  His words really struck Roger in a way that helped Roger to be really motivated also (that was the best thing, because it's usually one of us is motivated but the other isn't).  So, we left that meeting feeling really good and really motivated to be full tithe payers and get our recommends.  Ever since then, we have been full tithe payers.  It feels really good to be on the right track.
Long story aside, the reason why I was reaching my breaking point is that because we have been paying our tithing, we haven't been able to afford food.  We are trying really hard to not have to ask the bishop for help, but it is not looking good for us.  I'm starving!  We haven't had meat in over a week, red meat in about 2 months, cheese in over a week, and Roger hasn't had any soda in over a week.  So, we were completely out of gas in the truck, so Roger parked the truck and got a ride to work with a friend all week.  But this weekend, his friend, Dan invited him to come and spend a couple days at his house.  Dan said he would fill the truck up with gas and he agreed to feed  Roger, so he wouldn't have to spend anything.  Roger decided to do that, so he could use the truck again and so he could eat some food and have some soda.  It was getting pretty stressful here with nothing to eat, so I understood his wanting to get away.  Plus, Dan would fill the tank and that way we'd have some gas to get us through until his next pay day.
Because of the lack of money, I haven't left the house in a really long time.  So, being stuck here at home, nonstop, not having food to eat (besides rolls and cookies - because we had flour and sugar and baking supplies left), then Roger getting to go and play and eat really has taken a toll on me.  I'm starting to feel extremely fussy!  
I didn't mean to spend so long talking about that.  We had a nice conference weekend.  I crocheted while I listened.  Brinley colored while she listened.  Parker and Alissa played Minecraft with no volume while they listened.  Grandma Moser was in the choir for the Saturday afternoon session.  The kids were really excited to see her.  They all paid close attention during the songs so they could see her.  At first when they saw her, the kids thought she looked nervous.  At the end when they saw her, Alissa said, "Okay.  So, now she just looks tired."  I thought that was funny.  I thought she looked just fine.  It was really fun to see her.  Here's Brinley modeling the two hats I crocheted during Saturdays General Conference.


These are the pictures I took today (Sunday).  Brinley made some pretty art on my phone.
 Alissa and Parker played a lot of Minecraft today.  They had fun.
 Brinley stopped coloring to play with her dolls.  She asked me to come in the kitchen and see her doll coloring.  I was being lazy and didn't want to get up, so i gave Brinley my phone with the camera turned on and told her to take a picture.  So, here is Brinley's doll coloring.  Brinley also took a picture of the picture her doll was coloring.  Brinley is too goofy!  I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment