Monday, August 31, 2015

First Day of School - August 31, 2015

Monday - August 31st
Today was the first day of school!  The kids had mixed feelings about it.  They were excited, but they had no idea what to expect, since they've never been to a charter school, so they were a little nervous too.  Here they are all ready to go.




They all had a good day.  Parker's day was a little bit rough.  He said he had a tummy ache.  His teacher called in the middle of the day to say that he wanted her to call me and let me know he was sick.  I figured that it was just nerves and she thought the same.  Also, I was in Logan, so I couldn't pick him up.  We decided that she would call me if she really thought he was sick.  After that, he had lunch and he felt better.  The rest of the day was a lot better for him.

When I picked the kids up after school, Parker was so happy.  He was standing outside with his friend, Damien.  He was so excited that Damien was in his class!  Parker and Damien met about 5 years ago, when I babysat him and his younger brother Conner.  Parker and Damien have kept in touch since then.  We lived close to them in 2012 for about 6 months.  They loved that.  But then, Damien moved and we moved shortly after that.

The kids all told me about their day when we got home.  The girls were really excited and super talkative, but Parker said he wasn't feeling well, so he went in the living room to lay down.  After I listened to the girls, I went to check on Parker and realized that he had a fever.  I gave him some medicine and he fell asleep.  The girls loved their classes.  Brinley made a new friend, Chloe.  She was so happy to have a new friend.  She thought that her and Taylor would become could friends again (they were best friends in Kindergarten), but she said she hardly talked to Taylor because Taylor had another friend.  Then she met Chloe and her day got a lot better.
Alissa said that her first day reminded her of kindergarten.  They made crafts and did some get to know you type activities.  I thought it was funny the way she said that, because every year, she always says, "I wish it was like kindergarten again, where everything was easy and fun."  She liked her class and her teacher.  She loved that this school is nothing like the intermediate school.  She loved that she didn't have to rush from one class to another.  She had a water bottle with her the whole time, so she drank more water than she is normally able to.  She liked it a lot.
They also loved how, they get to leave to school later than the kids that live around here and they get home an hour earlier than the other kids.  When Malaiyah came home from school, she told us about her day.  She had stories of scary, intimidating 9th graders.  Hearing about her day, made me feel a lot better about my choice to send the kids to the charter school.

Parker was still asleep and feeling sick, so he couldn't go to the back to school night at his school.  Roger stayed home with him.  Roger was kind of fussy and frustrated, because he was trying to work things out for us to get homeowners insurance.  We are getting renters insurance through Geico.  He got a quote from them for homeowners insurance and it was really expensive.  When he talked to his mom about it and she told him how much she was paying, he got really frustrated.  They want to charge us double the amount that his mom pays.  He is just frustrated that now, we have to spend time shopping around to find the place that will give us the best, most affordable homeowners insurance.  Buying a house is stressing Roger out a lot.  I don't like it when he is stressed.  It's a bummer.

Back-to-school night went well.  Their teachers were nice.  I was impressed with everything I saw.  I was able to talk to Parker's teachers.  I think Parker is going to do so well this year.  His teachers are perfect for him.  One of them used to be a special ed teacher.  She understood Parker's issues and how he has a hard time dealing with things when it get too loud and crazy in the classroom.  She has some head phones with music and different ideas to help him have a way to get away from the crazy, calm down, and be able to focus again.  I'm so happy that she is so understanding about that.  I think this year will be really good.

Parker woke up from his nap feeling a lot better.  His fever went away.  I am so exhausted tonight.  We are all tired.  Our bodies are having a hard time adjusting to our new schedule.  Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment