Tuesday, February 2, 2016

My Friend Passed Away - February 2, 2016

Tuesday - February 2nd
Tonight I got on Facebook for a little while.  First thing I saw, was a message from Maryann.  She asked if I knew Lori Gillen.  She said, "isn't she the one you babysat for?"  I replied, "Yes."  I wondered if maybe she had met her somewhere or why she was asking me.  I figured she'd tell me why she asked after I replied, so I stopped myself from asking her why she wanted to know.
After messaging her, I went to the home page to scroll through all the posts.  I noticed a friend from the old ward, Brooke (who was the choir director when I was the choir pianist), had set up a go fund me account.  I thought, "Oh no!  I hope everything is okay with her."  I clicked on the link to see what was going on and my heart sank as I saw a picture of my friend Lori with her girls at the top of the page.  I was so shocked to read that she passed away.  She had cancer and lost her battle.  I had been feeling like I should call her, back in September and October, but I didn't do it.  I hadn't talked to her in a long time.  I wish I had been a better friend.  I had no idea that she had cancer.
I met her shortly after we moved to the town houses.  She had recently divorced and was trying to make it on her own with her 4 girls.  I did what I could to help her out.  Mostly, babysitting.  I loved her little family.  They were rowdy, but lots of fun.  Lori was so nice and we had lots of fun visiting while the kids played.  Eventually, she moved and I didn't see her as often.  She got a job driving a school bus and she was assigned to drive the kids in our area, so I got to see every morning for a long time.  Most of the time, they were in a hurry, so I just smiled and waved.  The kids all loved her as their bus driver.  They said she was the nicest of all the bus drivers they ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment