Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Decorating a Wedding Cake - March 2, 2016

Wednesday - March 2nd
I woke up feeling better.  Congested still, but better.  I really needed to be feeling better, since I had a wedding cake to decorate.  Usually I decorate the cake on the day of the wedding, but this time Roger suggested I do it a day or 2 in advance and see how it goes.  I normally would say no, because I worry about the cake getting ruined if it is sitting in our house for too long.  But the kids are older and I thought it would make things a lot less stressful.  It was less stress.  I think I will do cakes this way from now on.  Although, now I have a full day of worrying that the kids will bump into it or something will happen to the cake before I get it delivered.  I really hope nothing happens.  I hope that cake will travel well.  I'm really glad to have the cake done.



I forgot about how it is living in a small town neighborhood.  When we lived in the town houses, it was like we weren't in a small town anymore.  Even thought there were people all around, everybody pretty much kept to themselves.  Nobody seemed to care what was going on in our lives.  It was kind of weird to me, after living in our last neighborhood, where they were very much into our business.  It took a while to get used to, but it was kind of nice.  Anyway, so now we are back in a neighborhood.  The first time we homeschooled, we were in a neighborhood and it really upset everybody that we were homeschooling.  They shunned us after we made that decision.  It was crazy how they acted and it was not nice.  After that, I quit telling people that we were homeschooling.  I kept that to myself.  We homeschooled while we were in the town houses and nobody cared.  That was nice.  I quit worrying about if anybody found out and how they would react.
Now that we're back in a neighborhood, I forgot about how everybody is in your business.  I had forgotten to be cautious about who I mentioned the homeschooling to.  I told my visiting teaching partner, because she called while I was dealing with taking Parker out of school.  The next week when we went visiting teaching, she mentioned to the people we were visiting, that I am homeschooling.  One of the ladies had lots of strong opinions and crazy ideas about life.  She thinks homeschooling is bad.  She was complaining about the reasons why parent homeschool (because their child is bullied) and explaining that the kid needs to toughen up and fight his own battles.  Then she shared stories of her encounters with homeschooled children and how they don't know how to behave socially.  She also thinks that they lack discipline and they don't seem to have any interest in learning.  She also has very strong opinions about single parent families.  She said (matter of factually) that all the girls wind up pregnant at young ages and all of the boys join gangs.  Anyway, she was a little crazy.  I didn't argue with her.  I don't think she would have listened.  She seems to be pretty set in her ways.
After that meeting, I was reminded of how we were treated when we homeschooled the first time.  I realized that I shouldn't have told anybody.  I really hope people are nice to us here.  Last night their was a relief society activity.  I didn't go, because I was feeling sick, but this morning I got a message from a neighbor, saying that she heard I am homeschooling now.  She wondered if I was okay and if I needed help with anything.  I told her I was fine, but I realized that she must have heard about the homeschooling at last nights relief society meeting.  I'm pretty sure everybody must know by now.  I just really hope people are nice.  I wish I would have remembered and not told anybody.  I only told that one person, without thinking, but that's all it takes around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment